Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hold that--


Hold that oz. of fear screaming from the glassy veil of salty tears
Welding in the cusp of your eye lid
 Woefully fold up that torment and stuff it in your hearts front pocket
Place that stampede of fluttering butterflies in the pit of your stomach
And hold them there
Like a memory, displayed on living room coffee tables like anthologies
I mean to never forget
Tile you bathroom floor with a mosaic of your broken promises, cold beneath your toes
And burden the mailman with your sorries that they might be returned to sender--
One a day except on the Sabbath 
Don’t ever fix that squeaking hinge on the front door
Always recall what it sounded like closing behind my bidding footsteps
Record my exit and etch it on inner eyelids
Cuz I’m coming back
Never believed in second chances, but our love advanced to a place I’d never conceived at its peak
And traversed the confounding valleys of pity shifting me of balance
Too weak to stand for it so I departed
I know now love aint for the faint hearted and is surely a verb so now I vow to work at it
But one thing is for sure
Third chances are for the foolish who disregard the dead end tattooed on the frontal lobe of a fleeting romance
You’ve Gotta know when you’ve come to the end of the road
But I decided to give it another go
Though the slates been wiped clean you are not back at square one
Use the building blocks of this battered relationship crumbling at each corner to fortress our connection
Be sure to point your canon in another direction this time
The camp can’t withstand another attack
And stay intact
And be clear I refuse to go back to dinner tables set for two but sitting one
A centerpiece vase with flowers wilting like our conversations of withering substance
No longer will I fumble awkwardly to answer the dreaded inquiries of where you are when it is here you need to be
Baby, remember the shattered-ness of the time I left
So this time you won’t forget to stamp a red fragile on this relationship
And handle with care
Bubble-wrap what we hold sacred will attentiveness
I’ve never believed that love was free
But I’m no golden digger and never have I asked for money
I just need your undivided sometimes
Wanna be prioritized over your grind
Cuz with whom will your share the view from the pinnacle if not the one who loved you when you were low
 Remember how the once chirping birds sounded like drowning crows the first morning you rolled over and the other side of the bed was cold
And maybe this time you will appreciate the coddle and cuddle in a dusky Autumn
Cotton pillow….the standing locum
Replay the melodious quietude from the highest quality beats
Do our argument sound just a tad more sweet?
Hold that oz. of fear, the hurt, the pain
That you’ll never push me to leave again…

©Brion Gill

2 comments: